Thursday, October 16, 2014

Silver Linings Playbook - Bipolar Disorder in Living Color

I climbed into bed, a little tired, last night. My wife, Kristine,  was already sitting up, leaning her lovely back against the headboard that really needs to be tightened, for obvious reasons, being that we live in a house with six kids - and I still love my wife...a lot.

"Wanna watch a movie? Silver Linings Playbook looks good."

"Sure," I replied, instantly perking up. We hadn't watched a real movie together in a while.

As she is wont to do, my bride fell asleep before the beginning credits finished, leaving me to watch a movie that depicted the image of my brain, emanating from the two main characters.

Silver Linings Playbook is a must see. The trailer depicts a completely different movie than is actually presented to the viewer. It isn't the funny, happy-go-lucky, boy meets girl, boy falls in love after some sort of awkward societal footwork, girl plays tough to get, kiss and make up, end credits, sort of movie. It's a real and raw story of a gentleman with bipolar disorder.

The interactions between Pat, the main character, and his parents, was nothing short of amazing. The mother, seemingly doting, yet always with a loving incredulity pasted on her face. The father, screwed up and OCD in his own ways, violent even, vulnerable and caring through his toughness. Worried about his son. Skeptical of his actions.

Or were they?

The love story is a large part of the picture, and yet one is left wondering, at the end, whether Pat's whole life after his stay in the hospital, was choreographed for his benefit. Even so, the emotion is real, centered around a dance competition that doesn't go overboard, but is revealed, just enough, in order to make a point, whatever it was.

I watched Pat throw a mega-tantrum, escalating to the point where he had no control. I have dear friends who tell me about their bipolar disorder and the manic episodes. I watched as he threw a book through a window, simply because it didn't end right, then paced, back and forth, back and forth, in his parents' bedroom, at 4AM, loudly exclaiming his displeasure at the plot.

I do that all the time. Kristine falls asleep.

Even though I have no mental diagnosis of any kind, I was intimately brought into the characters heads through the script. It was so well done, I felt their pain.

Go see it. It's on Netflix.


1 comment:

  1. It's one of those movies where you can watch it a few times and pick up on a few different things each time. Great movie, great acting, done really well.

    ReplyDelete