Saturday, April 7, 2012

Damn My Coffee Habit!

I was getting the three littlest kids ready to go out shopping so the three older kids could clean the house and Kristine could do her homework.  I made a pot of coffee, poured myself a thermos, set it on the dining room table, and ran upstairs to grab a pair of socks for a kid.

No sooner had I hit the top stair than I heard a crash, a splash, and a blood curdling scream.  I rushed downstairs to find Kristine ripping off Analisse's (2) shirt and rushing her to the kitchen sink, my coffee thermos laying on the floor, swimming in an ever-increasing pool of scalding hot coffee.

We rushed her to the Children's ER where it was discovered that she had 3rd degree burns from her chest to her pubic bone.  The doctors dressed the burn and scheduled follow-up therapy at a Midwest renowned burn unit.  The immediate risk, right now, is infection, then scarring, in that order.

Analisse is cheerful and full of giggles, still lighting up our lives.  The other kids are aware of how they need to treat her for the next week or so.

Keep Analisse in your thoughts and prayers.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man! I feel her pain. When I was about 5 or 6, I was resting my head on my dad's lap at a bible conference and he was being served coffee when I bumped his hand and his coffee cup tipped over and I got scalding hot coffee all over my head and face. My parents took me to the ER and they wrapped up my head so that I looked like a mummy. I got a blueberry popsicle out of the deal and everyone at the conference treated me like a queen. I had scars behind my ears and on my scalp for years. They're gone now.

    Definitely sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I am so sorry this happened! I will definitely keep Analisse in my thoughts and prayers!

    Accidents happen. My son burned his hand on the iron when he was (2) on Mother's Day! I felt so guilty, like the worst mom ever. :(

    I wish I lived nearby so I could babysit, bring dinner, mow the lawn, whatevs would help you guys out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I will keep her, and you, in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Baby. She's still insured, right? I remember you lost coverage but for her.


    My thoughts are with your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. All the kids are insured. She is in very good hands. Most of the burn was more like a sunburn and only two spots went 4 layers deep. In a few weeks, it should be completely healed and then 2 years of no sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. Um, you have sun in Minnesota? Or just the snow? :P

      Delete