Sunday, May 3, 2015

How Our Marriage Seems to Our Kids

As I've written before, here and here, my perfect marriage is nothing but perfect. If you decided to sit at my feet and write a how-to manual, based on my nearly 14 years of bliss, your marriage would fail. That's the curse of relationship perfection - it only works for that relationship.

One day, I sent my son upstairs to drop off a few blankets. My brother-in-law and his wife were living up in the third-floor suite for a few months. They were wonderful tenants. We've had a lot of people bed down up there, either passing through, or just to stay for a while. This couple takes the cake.

My boy bounced back down the steep stairs and softly shut the door to the third floor.

"Daddy, they're fighting up there," he said in a near whisper.

"Yep. Married people fight sometimes. It'll more than likely be okay," I softly called after him as he walked down the hallway.

As I turned to walk after him, my 13-year-old daughter called me from her bedroom.

"Daddy, are they going to get a divorce?"

I chuckled a bit at the question, but answered her, matter-of-factly, "Mommy and Daddy fight sometimes and we aren't divorced."

"I know, Daddy, but nobody knows how to make up like you and Mommy do. That's why other people get divorced."

Sometimes, I wish I had the faith my kids have in me. Adults understand that relationships that work are relationships that are worked on. But, for her to see the fruits of our labor in such an innocent and trusting light, made me smile and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment