Tuesday, June 4, 2013

He Loves Me

Jack (4) burst out of the door and ran down the stairs, screaming and weeping.  He was incoherent and obviously completely out of his mind with sadness.  He kept pointing up to the sky and yelling some words, gazing beyond the tops of the trees.  Renaya (11) followed him closely, consoling him for a matter I was yet to be aware of.

"Jack!  What's wrong."

More crying and weeping.  I couldn't understand him.  So, naturally, I asked Renaya.

"I accidentally lost Jack's balloon and it's up there in the sky," she said, matter of factly.

Jack demanded that we drive until we got the balloon and Renaya kept insisting that the helium filled ball of rubber was drifting downward, making it easy to collect the errant balloon before it reached Chicago.

I took another angle and consoled Jack, telling him that other children would enjoy the balloon.  It actually worked and we went inside to eat supper.

Later that night, Kristine came home and I told her the story and informed her that I would be going to Cub Foods to buy Jack three more dark blue balloons, filled with helium, which I did after work the next day.

Jack loved it and beamed the most beautiful smile known to humankind.

I woke up this morning and jumped in the shower.  The bathroom door opened and Jack informed me he had to pee.  He opened the toilet and began to prepare himself when he decided to speak.

"Daddy, I love you because you bought me balloons."

I melted.

"I love you too.  I did it because you cried when your other balloon went up into the sky."

"Well...I hate that balloon now.  That was only one.  Now I have three!"


No comments:

Post a Comment