Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fatherhood Moments That Make You Cry

Analisse (2) heard me yell, "Bye, everyone!"

She rushed out to the dining room where I was getting my coat on.  I had decided that I wouldn't bring a lunch that day, settling for the infinite snacks at work.  But she would have none of it.

"Hew daddy!  Hew daddy!," she said as she loped over to the front closet.  Opening the door, she grabbed my massive lunch cooler off the floor and dragged it over to me.

"Hew daddy!"

"But, Freak, I don't need it.  I'm not bringing a lunch today."

She held up the carrying strap.

"Hew daddy!  Hew daddy!"

"But, Ani...I'm not bring...."

I stopped dead in my tracks.  Who cares if I knew I wasn't going to put anything in that lunch pail.  Here was my two-year-old daughter handing it to me, making sure I wouldn't forget it and be hungry.  She knew what I brought to work every day and it made her day to make darn sure I had it with me.

"Thank you, Freak!"

I scooped her up in my arms and gave her a big hug, put her down and turned to leave.

"Piss, daddy.  Piss!?"

I had forgotten to give her a kiss.  Oops.

I bent down and kissed her upraised lips.  Standing up again, I watched her face beam with happiness.

"Peek, daddy!  Peek!"

I had no idea what Peek meant!  Frantically, I looked at Kristine who informed me she was asking for a kiss on the cheek.  Sure enough, blockheaded ole' me couldn't see that she was pointing to her right cheek.

So I obliged.  Turned around to leave again....

"Obow peek, daddy.  Obow peek!"

There she was, looking up at me sweetly again, pointing to her left cheek.  I placed another kiss and left, my heart warm and full of life.

All day at work, my lunch cooler sat on my desk - empty - reminding me of a daughter that loves me for being her daddy.

Life.  Is.  Good.

1 comment: